Sunday, October 23, 2011

Of Lions, Tigers and Ducks

I am not sure if you are reading this because that title peaked your interest ... if so, I hope it doesn't dissappoint.  A week or so back the service at the church I have been going to went late - they were ordaining  a new pastor the fellowship and mealtime went later into the night so I was asked if I wanted to stay over, since the buses stopped running and I didn't have another way home.  When my bed was made up I was given two blankets, the first was covered with baby ducks or chicks (pollitos in Spanish) and the second had a really big tiger (tigre) on it.  As we laid the tiger blanket on top of the chicks I thought of the day that is promised to come (Isaiah 11:6-9 or Hosea 2:18) when the Lord will restore fully and bring peace, one in which a tiger really could lay down peacefully with baby ducks.

Well unfortunately that day isn't hear yet, still hoping it may yet come today, but it is in the Lord's timing.  In the meantime we live in a fallen world that has wars, not peace.  There is evil and wickedness done, there is pain and sadness, there is greed that is fueld by selfishness - placing personal gain and overindulgence above and beyond the compassion and valuing that others deserve.

As a follower of Christ, I have been called out of darkness and redeemend into His kingdom, one that is a kingdom of light.  Yet I still live in the world, yet as an ambassador of His light, His love and mercies.  I have peace that I can bring to a world filled with unrest.  Many times that peace will not be accepted and it is promised to bring conflict, as Truth does with things that are not true.  I'll get into some of that conflict in another post, but for now we can recognize where it comes from and what we are called to do and that is simply to follow our Savior, His leading and trust in Him.  He is my Rock and Refuge (Psalm 94:22).  May He receive all the Glory.

And in case you were wondering, I had a really peaceful nights sleep as I lay down with the ducks and the tiger, knowing The Lion of Judah was watching over me.

No comments:

Post a Comment