Thursday, October 6, 2011

Of Fire and Hammers

Today's post is on a verse that the Holy Spirit has been continuing to weave into my fabric or better illuminate and fill me with the wisdom of His will for it in my life and the world.  The verse is Jeremiah 23:29 - the Lord ask's is not His Word like a fire and a hammer?

When I read that verse I stopped to ponder it, I prayed asking the Lord to further reveal His intentions of the question and statement to and for me.  He answered that prayer that day and has been continuing to work it into my understanding more and more.

The Word of the Lord is indeed like a fire - bringing light to darkness, Praise God, or I'd still be stumbling around in darkness.  It bringa warmth and comfort, it is filled with power and it is used to burn away impurity as well as a weapon to shield and protect.  It is indeed like a hammer - able to smash rocks and hardness to pieces, it can also be used to gently, or at times with force, reshape and mold, flatten and dull sharp edges.

Gaining a deeper insight into how the Word works as fire or a hammer has brought more depth into how I pray, using the Word and how I ask the Lord to use it in me and for me and for His Glory.  At times, when I am honest, some of those prayers are scary - at least until I am reminded that the Lord's intentions for me are for my good and that He will always be with me ... for when we ask that a work of burning fire be applied, our pride can rear up - what of me needs burned, will it hurt, what if I don't want to get rid of it, what will fill that space that was me?  And then I realize that the Word is already at work, bringing into the light the remains of me that need burned away, crushed with a mighty blow of the hammer and I realize that is exactly what He wants (and I do too!)

No comments:

Post a Comment