Saturday, October 15, 2011

Why Read the Bible?

This morning, after I spent some time in the Word, I went off to town for an inter-cambio, an interchange of conversation with somone, or is my case two others, who are interested in practicing their english with someone who is interested in practicing the language they are working on learning, in my case mi espanol.  This was my first time participating in one so I was very interested to see where the conversations would head to.

The two individuals I sat down with were two university students, un hombre (a man) and una mujer (a woman), both in their mid twenties.  We would spend the first hour talking only in spanish and then the second hour in english.  Since my spanish isn't too good (my english isn't really much better) we started off slow, but I was encouraged by the fact that the conversation was moving forward - they were understanding what I was saying and I was getting what they were saying.  Toward the end of our time talking time in spanish the topic of religion came up, or more specifically my beliefs since I had answered a question about books that I have read and at the top of the list was La Biblia (the Bible ... sorry, I have to take the lay up shots when I can to practice my spanish.)  As I spoke about my faith we circled back to the my reading the Bible and I was asked by the guy why.

I thought that was a great question.  I believe it was a sincere question, not one flippantly thrown out as a jab, like why waste your time doing that?!?  I spoke briefly about why I read it, but not as strongly as I would have liked to given my spanish isn't all that bueno (good).  I did mention that it is God's Word and some other thoughts, but then the conversation moved into a discussion about the Catholic Church, other denominations and the difference between religion and man's rules versus a relationship with God.  Thankfully as the conversation got deeper we moved into speaking english as their english was definitely better than my spanish so I am sure they were able to get more out of the conversation with me speaking in english.  In either case, I was trusting in the Holy Spirit to get His message (mensaje) across.

So as I sit here typing this, my prayer is for the two I met with this morning.  First, that they indeed did hear and receive what God intended them to hear and that I will have the opportunity for more conversation with them next week (the intercambios are held each Saturday morning) and get to build a deeper relationship with the guy who threw the question out.  Second, it is for myself, and others who spend time in the Word regularly and for those that don't that happen along here ... that we would be ever in awe of the fact that we are blessed to be able to hear from God, His very Word each time we open and read the Bible, that it is His perfect and true, inmutable Word - the fact that it is God's Word, it leads me, giving light to my path, instructs, it is Truth and gives hope and life, speaks of His mercy and great love for me, offers Grace and shows me Christ, my Savior.  My prayer is that I would not take it for granted and I would be ever prepared with a ready response as to why I read it.

Thank You Father for Your Word and all that it is to me .... the above is way to short of a list!  May Your Word continue to work in me, sanctifying me and renewing my mind.  As You shape me with it, as You build me up with the knowledge and wisdom contained in it and as You equip me for the work You prepared me for and lead me in, may my actions and thoughts be ever pleasing to You.

No comments:

Post a Comment